31 July 2015

I'm the luckiest girl in the world

No, really. I am.

Why?

Because, despite all the negative things I've been through or dealt with or merely just thought, I'm still standing with a smile.

Why?

I have the best friends anyone could ever ask for.

Yup. This is going to be that kind of post.

It's not every day you meet your platonic soulmate(s), and the ones you think you had when you were a kid usually don't stick around. (More power to those who have held tightly together since they were tiny children, though!) I've had my fair share of friends and acquaintances that come and go, but only a few have lasted long enough to predict "forever."

When I was in junior high, I went through a small emotional hell. Those who know me well are more than familiar with this period of my life, and it was an act of God, I swear, that I made friends with a girl who would eventually become someone I lovingly call my "sister."


I remember our first interaction. It was so dumb, but also so perfect. I was sitting with another girl on the bleachers on the first day of gym class in the seventh grade; Jo was sitting behind me. I was showing this other girl some of my artwork when Jo leaned over and asked, "How do you draw the eyes like that?" She laughed and explained that she wasn't very good at drawing anime-style eyes. From then on, we stayed close together and became really good friends surprisingly fast. We had experienced similar things, we dealt through similar hard times, we shared coping mechanisms both healthy and dangerous, and we ultimately helped each other out of our own messes. We were shoulders to cry on, ears to listen, tickling fingers, laughing faces, and just two of the same person. We clicked. Even though she had to change schools for the entire next year, we clicked.

It was through her that I was first introduced to the other two of my best friends. First, there was Kassi.



It's funny because we were in junior high, too, when we first met. That's not the funny part. You see, we legitimately thought we hated each other. I thought she didn't like me, and apparently she thought the same! I always thought her artwork was really cool, though, and that's what brought us back together in high school. We shared an art class and hit it off like those old times were nothing. We have so much in common that just blows my mind, and we both look up to each other in the same way regarding our skills. It's an interesting relationship. We attended the same university for a while, so we got to live together, and that only brought us closer (much to the surprise of many people!). 

Brianna was the second person I met and became close to because of Jo. What's weird about our relationship is that I don't really remember how we met! She was one of those friends that just kind of merged with our little group and was too cool to let escape. Haha ~ I'm very sad that I either don't have or can't find any selfies of just Brianna and I. I will make a point to change that the next time we're out doing whatever! Brianna and I do a bunch of dumb stuff together, though, the way all good friends should, from creating and especially destroying in Minecraft to catching lunch and awesome movies, or even just playing silly card games on the floor of her apartment. She's a great asset and this post just wouldn't be the same if I didn't mention her, too!





Outside of my close-knit chosen family of friends that I've already mentioned, I do have several beautiful, amazing, and wholly supportive friends who come from all walks of life that I would be nothing without. Anastacia, Caitlin, Musi, Sam, Tracy, Rachel, Angel, Dominik, Nina (even though it's still weird to address her in that manner!), Brandon, Madeline, among other unnamed acquaintances that have done nothing else but give kind words, advice, compliments, and just their love and presence and everything. 

I don't know how anyone could live happily without people that love them outside of their family. Sitting here and thinking about everything all of these people have done for me and with me, it just makes me smile. It's things like this I'm guilty of taking for granted. I have so many beautiful people around me constantly in flesh or spirit via social media. I need to think of you more often, I think. You all make me happier than I think you know.

I really am the luckiest girl in the world, and if you don't believe me, I'm sorry. 

c:





No comments:

Post a Comment